Friday, October 19, 2007

ENGINEERING V/S MANAGEMENT

Well, you don't find many NITians craving to be a technocrat in the long run ....almost 90% of them opt for MBA later in their lives (unlike IITians)...For us, NIT simply stands for "Never Interested in Technology" ...Here, I give an example which just exemplifies this EMPIRICAL fact...


In our final semester, myself and my 3 project mates were simply running out of ideas to get some software/code that could be procured and manipulated easily such that at the end of the semester we could claim it as OUR CREATION (majority does like that)...Finally, we chose "8085 MICROPROCESSOR SIMULATOR"..We wanted to do it using 'C' but were never sure about our TECHNICAL ability to do the whole coding in C....When the time came to submit the PAPER (3 months before the final project submission) giving a short INTRO to our project - my project mates had to TRUST me coz they had full belief on my skills in written English...I didn't disappoint them as I kept this line in the PAPER, AS WELL (I always had this HUNCH that we won't be able to do the whole project in 'C') :

"....OFCOURSE, the number of functionalities added in our project shall simply be GOVERNED by our technical/programming EXPERTISE in 'C'...."

In Layman's language, it was our latent and devious way to tell the professor - "We'll do what we CAN do...BUT please don't EXPECT much...coz we are not sure..."

Eventally, the aforesaid LINE came out to be right, as we were not able to do the whole coding in 'C'..Finally, we changed gears and switched to 'Java' and were able to complete the project well on time...

PREMONITION POWER ?? (As per some studies, good managers trust their intuitions !!!)

( :

No comments: